Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Street Racing/Speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
Anti speeding ad in the UK.

A lot of ads outside the US are, and they really hit home. There's another one I'll post up when I get off from work and on a computer.
You guys will no doubt think I am nitpicking here, but that ad is from an anti-speeding campaign in Ireland.

Southern Ireland, aka the Republic of Ireland, which is not the UK.

Just thought I'd mention that.

There is a number of those ads of that realistic type. Some are targeted on the wearing of seat belts, some on drink driving, some on speeding. They are very scary and realistic, and I think they do get the message home at certain levels.

I have an issue with them, it is that they focus too heavily on the carnage caused by high speed crashes, to the exclusion of other causes of accidents such as bad and inattentive driving, driving while overtired and bad road surfaces and road conditions.

To me, this leads into a culture of speed cameras and jackboot policing. The focus should be on surgical targeting of the idiots that drive at rally speeds late at night, often fuelled up on drugs or drink. These are the fools that claim the most lives and have the most single-vehicle accidents.

The majority of people drive well and drive carefully. It's just that it's easier and cheaper for the cops to draw convictions and revenue off the poor fools hurrying to work going 10 per over the limit than it is to actually catch the mad bastards late at night that push up the speeding/fatal accident ratios.

I'm doing my bit to keep the roads safe, I drive carefully and defensively. I'd like to see the police starting to make it difficult for the late night lunatics for a change, and ease up on preaching to the converted.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl