View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 AM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

I finally replaced the driver's side (USDM driver side) rear hub/knuckle on my 1992 LS-L Pearl project. In December I started replacing a wheel bearing so loud I couldn't think properly when driving. The cage was so melted that the rollers much have been traveling end over end! But I accidentally damaged the inside of the knuckle while pressing the bearing out. Hence needing to replace the knuckle.

After getting the car back together, I let it warm up (the radiator repair is still holding!), and took it for a short test drive. There was some knocking from the front driver's side of the engine, but otherwise it was very smooth.

While the engine was quiet, once driving it I could hear the familiar slight drone of wheel bearing in the early stages of failure. Since I couldn't immediately tell which wheel was starting to drone, I figure I don't have to worry about replacing it right away. After the short drive (2 blocks-ish), I got a code 22 (replace knock sensor). Hopefully replacing the the knock sensor will also fix the knocking I heard.

My AMR aluminum radiator just arrived, and I'm planning to replace the timing belt, water pump, all major service items (and any leaky seals I can easily reach). Once I have the radiator out and the belts off, it should be easier to replace both knock sensors.

I am very excited to make some progress on this car, since I've been sitting on it for a year+. Hoping I can carve out some time soon to do the radiator and belts (and seals, knock sensors, and pulleys, etc., etc.)

Cheers!
Ian.

Last edited by svxcess; 04-21-2019 at 10:47 AM.