View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 08:20 PM

I think there isn't a how-to because there are a couple of ways to do it.

On car using a tool called the Hub Tamer (about $300 - and I think there are other brands now similar). That's how I did mine.

Off car means removing the hub and taking it to a place with a press.

Doing this is pretty straight forward with the manuals. Some have mentioned corrosion problems with the ABS sensor giving them trouble - doesn't want to come out of it's positioning hole - PB-Blaster is one preferred method to loosen up rust type corrosion.

Here's a mini-how-to using the Hub Tamer. Explaining use of the Hub Tamer itself would be hard to do without photos and I didn't have a digital camera when I did mine. Will photograph any future procedures. Plus, it's been awhile so I may have forgot some steps, I think it's kinda obvious once you're in there - but YMMV.

1. Put tranny in Park & set parking brake.
2. Raise and support vehicle, then remove rear wheel(s). Remove axle nut after removing wheels from vehicle. Even if doing both I suggest leaving one side alone as a reference to look at. Then do it once the first side is all back together.
3. Move shift lever to Neutral & release the parking brake.
4. Disconnect lower stabilizer links and/or trailing links (I forget, do the obvious to get bottom of hub loose).
5. Remove caliper (hang it somewhere safe)
6. Remove rotor and parking brake mechanism.
6. Remove ABS clamps, then the parking brake cable bracket.
7. Disconnect parking brake cable clamp.
8. Pull out ABS sensor.
9. Pull out on lower part of hub and pull axle out of hub (make sure you have old hanger or? to support axle).
10. Remove inner seal and use hub tamer to press out the bearing.
11. Reverse procedures to install, using Hub Tamer to press back in bearing (don't forget seals), etc.

Last edited by lee; 03-08-2003 at 08:23 PM.