Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Wow, the smack is being handed out here mercilessly

Nice job on your aluminum welding experiment Dave
I Have to do something to take my mind off the tragedy... Just like Bill will have to do on Sat night

Well I just got it home the last little stretch, so now it sits in my driveway... Now it's time to start figuring it out;

- The oil pan is overfull, Now I'm assuming that I was a little low when I first noticed, added and then when the symptoms got worse just added more oil, assuming that it was blowing it out somewhere. Honestly I can't say for sure if I checked the oil level after that original time.

- Last night about 1/2 way through the "10 miles of hell" I started getting a "oil pressure light" at idle. Any downhill opportunity I got, I would shift into N and let it idle or turn it off. It was also making a lot of valve type noise and an occasional bearing type screech.

- Towards the end last night and again tonight the engine will not rev freely in P or N. Nor would it accelerate beyond 2k with the trans in 1st/2nd.

- This is the 4eat that I recently lost 3rd/4th in. But I've still been driving around in 2nd and not running above 4k.

- Is it possible for a engine on the verge of seizing to NOT increase the coolant temperature at all?? My coolant temp stayed right in the middle... normal... the entire time this crap was going down.

- Tonight at one point as I crested a small hill, it seemed to "free" the engine slightly.

Now, after getting it home I had a thought... Is it possible that a bad torque converter and a binding/siezed input shaft could cause the engine to bind and stall, but still allow the car to coast in N???

Could this in anyway cause the timing belt to skip that would explain the valve noise????