View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Re: electric water pump for my eg33

An update on the cooling issues with my mid engine project.
Early on, if I used a Tstat, I couldn't get the system to flow so I took the Tstat out. The system flowed but when I ran up the revs, the rad return pressure was so high it blew the coolant past the cap and overflowed the exp tank so the system needs the restriction of the Tstat. You guys already know that. With the rad 8' ahead of the engine, I decided to install a booster pump at the rad outflow rated at 40gpm. This got the system flowing with the Tstat installed. I originally wired it to run all the time but I am getting water in the oil so I suspect that the coolant pressure within the engine is quite high especially when I run the revs up. I now have the pump wired to come on with the first fan which is 185f with a 180f Tstat. Water is still getting in the oil so I suspect a head gasket job. Could it be anything else?
One other odd thing. Within the first 5 miles of a drive, the temp spikes up to 210+ and then returns to 190. This will happen a couple of times and then the temp settles down to 185 and stays there even if I hammer it . When I get back to the shop, the coolant in the rad is always about a quart low. The level in the exp tank doesn't seem to change. If I fill the rad and go out for another drive, the same thing happens.
I am running a single pass rad and drilled two holes in the Tstat.
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike