View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
This strange aftermarket arrangement

The previous owner of the car thought it needed more headlights and mounted a set of Hellas in front. I had them removed by a shop, but they didn't want to remove the entire setup, just the lamps and the lead cables.

This is waht I know:

* There's an extra relay inside the engine room
* There's a switch mounted on the left underside of the steering wheel, northeast of the "WINTER/NORMAL" switch for the wipers. It's always illuminated.
* In one position, pushing the left stalk would light the Hellas and probably the long lights
* In the other position, the long lights would go on by default and you turned them off by pushing the stalk (opposite of the usual). The Hellas would not light.

The shop didn't touch this arrangement.

After they removed the Hellas, I activate the long lights by pushing the stalk (as normal).

Does anyone have a theory of what was done?

There is also an aftermarket alarm in the car by the local manufacturer, DEFA. They're impossible to come into contact with and shops don't want to talk about the arrangement. The alarm is connected to the starter somehow. The car will not start unless the alarm is disabled. If I don't start the car within 30 seconds of disabling, it can't be started unless I "disable" the alarm again.

Again, any idea?
I'm ready to f...