View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 12:53 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Ummm.... so, beav, does this mean you CAN devour chlorestoral after all? To drag out the issue, & I'm NOT an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but since we now measure HP at the driving wheels, would that 60' Lincoln Limo's 300HP engine now be rated at 100HP, assuming it's RWD; due to the loss of power through a LONG driveshaft? NO FAIR!! Or, if were connected to a FWD set-up, would it now be rated at 400HP?
It SEEMS that the pre '70s measurement was more accurate as an accessment of what the mill was actually crankin' out.
Oh, and with AWD, at which end do we measure, or is an average?
Ron.
We don't measure HP at the wheels, or at least the car manufacturers don't, or else our beautiful SVX would be rated at an overwhelming 154 hp or so! And te Subaru Impreza 2.5RS... 96 hp!

A lot of power is lost on 4 wheel dynos, because of the four contact patches that touch the dyno, as well as drivetrain factors, I believe.

As for what we currently use, it's power at the flywheel, what Beav was saying. The accessories drain a decent amount of power from the engine.. but not as much as some people think, I believe. I know that some car that was dynoed lost about 13 hp once the air conditioner was turned on, though.

With RWD and FWD cars, I'm not sure about the details. I'm guessing that FWD cars lose less power through the drivetrain, etc.