View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 PM
billisa

Apples to Oranges?

I missed how old the SVX was that was being dissed, but the point that it's being compared with new, big $$$$ vehicles is very well taken. Now, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but after owning an SVX for $5K (and some other cars for far less), I can't IMAGINE paying $25/30/40/50K for a car! I just can't see it. I don't believe newer vehicles drive $20K+ "better" than their older stablemates. I've been in an A4 and A6 and I fail to see the value for the dollar when purchased anywhere near new! To me, the beauty of some of these big bucks Hondas and Toyotas is that they're still great cars with 100K, but at a FRACTION of the original cost. Mark my words, a 2002 350Z or G35 is going to be a GREAT car to own in 2008, or 9, or 2010.

One thing I've noticed, regardless of the brand, is that some people feel you HAVE to buy a car NEW, and they get weird looks on their faces when they see someone driving an nice upscale car for a fraction of what they just paid for their new Chevy. It's like you're cheating or something. There are still a number of people out there who think 60K miles is a lot for a car and when something breaks, it's time to trade-in. I know someone who has traded in some of the nicest vehicles that EASILY had another 100K left in them. Anyway, sorry for the rant!

Last edited by billisa; 11-29-2002 at 08:53 PM.