View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Passenger side oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I would say this is good advice. The reseal kit does include washers, and valve stem seals (part of valve train). Also included is the O-ring for the dipstick. All other seals on engine are included as well (Headgaskets, O-rings internal and external for the block, and too much other stuff to list). It is the best deal as I believe its about 300 bucks but I cant really remember at the moment. It's around there somewhere, but considering the head gaskets are half of that by themselves, and the valve covers are not cheap themselves, you save a lot of money in the long run by getting the reseal kit. It should literally have every seal for the entire engine.

Just looked it up. $249.97
Part # 10105AA060
I hear what you are saying. I will check back with him tomorrow on ordering the full kit.

The thing that is a shame is that the engine seemed so nice and dry until only a couple of days ago. Sure, the valve covers seeped like every other Subaru but just enough to be noticeable. All of a sudden the leak wanted to step it up a notch. Seems crazy to go from a pretty dry engine to a full re-seal. Also, as background, the previous owner already did the cam seals and replaced the oil pump. If the passenger side valve cover is the problem and it is easier to do and the driver's side valve cover is still pretty dry, maybe I should still go for the kit but only have him fix what is actually an issue for now. I would be willing to give it a shot myself if I had the tools, a place to do the work and it wasn't so friggin cold here right now. Luckily, my mechanic is very fair on his labor charges.

On the bright side, the tranny fluid looks pristine and the engine oil that leaked still looked quite clean for 3K+ miles.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything