View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 10:39 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Good explanation!

-Chike
Thanks . The topic of backpressure got dealt with *a lot* in EJ25-land back when I had my Impreza. it got proven over and over again by a seemingly infinite number of people (who all started out getting exhausts too big for hteir engines) that exhaust diameter is a very important thing, and shouldn't be too big or too small. stock is a little narrow on the EJ25s, and people would start with 2.5" thinking that "a little bigger than what's reccommended will be fine". They get tempted by the giant exhausts on WRXs. They take their rumbly new car out only to find their low end missing (keep in mind that "high end" is a foreign term with EJ25s). so they spend more money going back down to 2.25" piping. Yes, 1/4" makes that much difference. It's called tuning becuase you're doing just that... fine tuning the system. small adjustments. you don't tune a piano with a baseball bat.

it's too bad our pool of people is so small, but the consensus seems to be that 2.5" is the preferred diameter. That's what I'll be going for when I get mine.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k