View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Strange over heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiguy View Post
Okay so now with a new SILIA radiator in it runs good...... But now after a drive or two it starts to do the same thing again . But I noticed this time it's cus it's low on water so I thought well maybe air was in the system so I filled it up a few times. But then it started spewing water out the resavor. So I did this test.

I filled up the radiator when it was cold. Emptied the resistor compleatly. Drove it home 15miles. Just started to over heat when I got home. The next day I opened the radiator it was low on coolant. Checked the resivor it was full. So I poured what was in the resavor into the radiator and it filled it up perfectly.

So I know I'm not "losing" coolant it's still there just not in the right place. My thoughts bad radiator cap? Not letting pressure out and the coolant from the resivor back into the radiator?

Any more thoughts?
Go to a local auto parts store and get the loaner tool to check the cap. Make sure you got all the air bubbles out. I suggest raising the front of the car so the radiator is the highest point. Heat on high and fill as needed.

If the cap comes back good, bleed the system and you still lose coolant / overheat it will probably be what you don't want it to be. When was the water pump last done?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles