Thread: Road Tests
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi Peter

Switching from a Lotus Elise to an SVX will be a real difference.

I just bought my '94 model in February and must realize that the prizes here dropped drastic within the last six month. I did spent 9.000 Eur on the car, another 3.500 on modifications (plus 1.500 because I hit a pole, but thats a differnt story) - now it is worth only 7.000 - 8.000 Eur. (silver, only 35.000 miles, some dents and scratches)

Therefore I would recommend take the best car with low milage you can get and negotiate hard. If you have any doubt about the condition, walk away.

A good original condition is really worth some money and gives you a well balanced car. That even applies to the stereo, to the wheels, tranny, exhaust, etc. ... maybe not for the brakes. If you have any major repair or want to get back to original, it is really expensive and you will never get the money back.

Furthermore I would only look for a '94 build car or later since Subaru fixed then a few bugs in the tranny, not only for the US models.

However, there are still afew improvements to think about
tranny oil cooler (have it installed when a major service is due and have them change all fluids)
slotted rotors and steel-braided brake lines (if available in UK)
smallcar-grille - it lets more air through, needs some work before it looks ok
repaint original rims (they tend to lose the paint at the edges)
tint rear window
re-enforce back of driver seat (not expensive, even when done by a professional, but good for your back)

I hope that helps to make up your mind

Last edited by Radar; 08-25-2005 at 01:31 AM.