Thread: Road Tests
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Phil & Belha

http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/articles.html

The Autocar "Better than a Jaguar XJS" review on page 4 of James' site is a road test of a UK model.

Here's a tip, check the seatbelt labels to find out the actual year of manufacture, often these cars have sat around unsold. I've seen a 91 car which is shown as first registered in 94 on the paperwork.

If it's an import, check whether it has a rear fog light fitted and whether the speedo is in mph. Bear in mind that most imports lose a few miles from the clock during shipping.

When looking at them, pay special attention to the gearbox. Check the fluid and pay attention for slippage when driving. Check the history to see whether the gearbox has been fixed.

Having had a quick look at Autotrader, here's a few comments.

A silver 94 Jap Import at Oakdale. £3995. My guess is it's an S40-II anniversary model. If so then it will have cloth seats and a grey dashboard that is not to everyone's taste. Just a guess.

A red 93 UK model at Taylors. £4995. Like all UK models, it will be high spec: leather interior, sunroof, aircon, cruise etc.

Another silver 94, £3250. For some reason they've used a brochure picture rather than showing the actual car. I wonder why.

A claret 92 Jap Import at Plennum. £4895. This looks like a version L, fully loaded with 4 Wheel Steer, leather, etc. Definitely worth a look.

A black 97 UK model £7500. One of the last ever, high spec, all the bugs fixed.

A silver 93 UK model in Croydon £2695. Looks tidy, but it's been there for a while. They may be willing to drop the price to get rid of it.

A black 96 at Neil Simpson. £5995. Can't tell much from the Photo except it has nice BBS wheels. Worth a look.

Has anybody been to see any of these?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-16-2005 at 10:20 AM.