View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 08:41 PM
deruvian

Re: Strange sludge?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

Yep, there should be one or two magnets in the pan - rectangular with a hole in the center ("donut"). I'd be a little concerned about the "strange sludge" - you shouldn't see anything on the tubing other than ATF. You might just want to do another change of the ATF soon - dropping the pan again to drain as much out as possible.
-Bill
There was only one magnet in the pan. Circular with a hole in the center. Exactly like the picture that Chike posted at the beginning of this thread.

The "sludge" on the magnet was a dark gray, and was built up about 0.25 inches thick. It wiped away very easily.

A very similar "film" was on the piping in the transmission. It was very thin, and wiped away easily. Almost the exact same shade as the piping itself, actually.

Could this perhaps have anything to do with the fact that my 4EAT was rebuilt about 28k miles ago?

BTW - I also found a very similar looking "sludge" on the magnetic drain plug in the front differential. It was much more difficult to wipe away, I am assuming because gear oil is obviously much thicker than ATF.

Any ideas? New thread, maybe?

Last edited by deruvian; 02-17-2005 at 08:46 PM.