View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Strange sludge?

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
I just replaced my 4EAT strainer today. Wasn't too bad of a job - just time consuming.

I haven't driven it much since the replacement, but I can't imagine it yielding anything but good results.

BTW - Has anyone else that has dropped the 4EAT pan noticed that huge donut-shaped magnet in there? Mine had some strange sludge on it (I'm assuming metal particles mixed with oil), and, quite strangely, the sludge gave the donut kind of a daisy-like shape. There were 6 segments to the gunk buildup, each equal in size. The center was pretty empty. The good news is that I only found one very very small metal shaving.

All of the tubing inside the pan also seemed to have this strange sludge on it. It's all gone after a thorough cleaning, I just found it interesting.
Yep, there should be one or two magnets in the pan - rectangular with a hole in the center ("donut"). I'd be a little concerned about the "strange sludge" - you shouldn't see anything on the tubing other than ATF. You might just want to do another change of the ATF soon - dropping the pan again to drain as much out as possible.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker