View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy
[the installers] don't have an aftermarket pocket for the svx ...
The real reason is probably that they don't have any pockets listed as being compatible with the SVX. The car sold in such small numbers and is now so old that the aftermarket companies may not be bothering to list it -- at least for low-end accessories like a pocket.

Take a look at my SVX radio install guide. I fit the UP-K750 (universal pocket) in mine with minor modifications. I did not use any of the trim rings that came with it. It looks fine to me. There are pictures in my guide.

I recently got a UP-K800 that I haven't had a chance to test yet. I'll post a follow up when I do.

But basically, any pocket that fits standard ISO-DIN mounting holes (which the SVX's lower bay has) will fit.

Quote:
does anyone know what pocket from the legacy works?
Since Legacies, Imprezas, and Foresters all have standard ISO-DIN mounting holes for their lower bays, I'm 99% sure that pockets from any of those cars would work too. I haven't tried any of them myself, but if you find one locally (perhaps at a stereo install shop, in the pile of unneeded pockets that they inevitably have) you can compare the mounting screw locations to the measurements in my install guide.

Since the SVX already has a door, you don't need the pocket to have its own door (which some Subaru pockets have).

BTW, you can do the install yourself. It's very straightforward, and there's a smaller chance that you'll damage your dash. There have been countless tales here of clueless installers doing that.