View Single Post
Old 07-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy Re: Yes Ron, why ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trevor
[B]Ron, us old fogies must accept that logic does no longer apply. The stylists, the PR brigade the sales dept., and to be frank the bull**** artists hold sway in modern auto design. It must have more numbers, no matter what for, to sell to the gullible public.

Colour (Color) co ordinated bumpers that cost an arm and a leg to restore having been gently scraped or bruised by an ash can, supermarket trolley wooden fence, kids bike or whatever are my pet hate. Remember those chrome bumpers which allowed one to explore a tight space against a fence, wall, or what ever, when squeezing into a tight parking space. I am sure this is the reason for so many who drive off roaders in the city with no intention of going bush or even engaging four wheel drive.

Yeah, Trevor, I assumed a good degree of yuppie "gotta' have it" mentality would leak into any "refinement" that we're presented with by manufacturers who've noticed that they'll sell a lot more "bumpers"
if they'll disintegrate when bumped. It's now the rule to build products to sell at nearly give-away prices like printers, & then rip 'ya good when buying the ink. If automobiles will depreciate quickly enough that a fender-bender will cost more to fix than the car's worth in six years, Viola! We can crush this one & sell 'em a new one. ...and so it goes.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 07-06-2002 at 10:22 PM.