View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Only 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealStig View Post
Tx for the drawings.
To me: There should be constant FWD and additional RWD by activating the clutch.
In my case, it is not the clutch function, which is malfunctioning. It could be a broken set of gears supplying the front wheels.
????
No mate the 4act has constant FWD, with the clutch engaging to drive the rear wheels.

In the VTD the clutch doesn't contribute to drive drive at all.

The wheels are both driven by gears, that can drive either, or both, ends. It is like a normal differential with different size sun/planet gears on each side, so that one wheel has more torque than the other, with a limited slip clutch across them, to prevent the most torque wheel from spinning.

This how I believe yours is except that your limited slip clutch is not working, so the rear with the most torque spins.

I have driven my car without the clutch working, there is no different, unless you accelerate on a slippery surface, then the rear wheels spin.

Without knowing what was happening during the testing; if the epicyclic gears were run hard, they may be damaged. This happens if the car is towed with one set of wheels on the road turning, it only takes 10k to destroy the epicyclic gears.

The rear of the box with the AWD unit in it, can be removed with out pulling the box out.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.