Thread: JDM vs USM SVXs
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 10:58 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Your post is, for the most part, pure nonsese. No offense.

Yes, JDM (and therefore European and Australian market) SVXs use a different tranny. But other than that the differences are pretty superficial. I've never heard anything about SVXs 'shutting down' a cylinder bank. But I have heard reports of wildly different mileage from members on this board. Hell, my own SVX has gotten as little as 15mpg and as much as 31.

US SVXs were not 'detuned.'

I don't know about the ECUs, but I would bet that differences would only go so far as the different fuel used in parts of the world, different communication standards, etc.

If I'm wrong on any of this, somebody feel free to correct me.
Do you have the R&T guide to the SVX? I can dig it out if you don't and point out where it talks about shutting down one of the cylinder banks during the 1, 2, and 3 shifts, but not the 4th, among other tranny info. I *BELIEVE* it said it had a sort of displacement on demand system that when the TC locked up, one of the cylinder banks shut down, just like when it shifts.

The original reviews of the SVX had 0-60 in 7 seconds, and in the Automobile mag review, it said that shifts were creamy smooth right up to the 7,000 RPM redline. I can dig that out too if you want.

No offense taken lol...i'm not intending for people to take what I say as gospel, but I guess I just have an inquiring mind.

Oh yeah...and this Australlian magazine I bought on eBay had a big article about why the SVX and 300ZX failed, called "The X Fails". It was on a 1996 yellow SVX, stock, and it did 0-60 in 6.8 secs. Hmm...

Wow...with me throwing all these claims around I better pull these mags out and check

P.S. - It was here in these forums that someone told me that he US and JDM trannies were "completely different beasts"