View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Re: 4.11 VTD tranny swap video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Nevin, job well done, congrats! After viewing your youtube video I noticed what appeared to be a check engine light/stop lamp light, light up...any ideas as to what is causing this? Couple of additional questions

Yep, that's the stop lamp. That's what happens when you run LED bulbs.

1) Do we have any indication that this particular tranny is any more durable than a stock svx transmission?

I have been told by those "in the know" that it IS in fact more durable than a stock svx tranny. I'm told it's among the most durable of automatics ever built by subaru. Since it was desinged for turbo duty (a la wrx), it was gifted with stronger clutch packs as well as a gear type center differential. Since I also decided to upgrade the valve body, I don't think it's power holding/durability will be something I'll have to question. But you never know what could happen! However, not having taken it apart, I can't compare it directly to another. That's what I've heard, and found on a bit of my own research.

2) I am bit confused as to what mounts were the issue...was it the 4.11 transmission or the differential? Does the 4.11 transmission use stock svx mounts?

The rear TRANSMISSION mount is the one that is different, as I showed in the pictures. It's a 3 piece rear mount that has a different shape, and is therefore necessary for the swap. The USDM mount is more or less a "V" shape, while the JDM has a flatter shape to the rear tranny mount. The rear mount is the only physical outward design difference. Slap that mount on there, and everything else bolts exactly into place. The rear diff swap would be the same as doing any other old gear swap combo. No outward differences there.

Hope that helps!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!