View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 11:36 AM

Tom, still, there is nothing like the first day of the season, getting out the old rock skis and confirming that you have not fogotten how to turn them. Especially if it is the opening day in the USA.

I usually start the season at Hunter Mountain which is 3 hrs from my house. Friday after Thanksgiving is a tradition with my college buddies but the crowd is getting smaller every year. Lately it has just been Scotty and I but the tradition continues.

I do not get out to Colorado much. My employer frequently sends me to Texas on week long business trips and I always try to "save the company $$$ on airfare" by adding a weekend ski trip. Any sacrifice for the company, you know.

The best connecting flights seem to be into Salt Lake City and the airport is so close to the ski areas that I can maximize my time on snow, and besides, the snow in Utah is much, much better than colorado. Seriously, I do meet a lot of people on the chair ride who are from Colorado but skiing in Utah for the snow.

You will be seriously disappointed if you come to ski to the east coast, especially Killington. Nothing out here compares to the west except maybe Jay Peak which is in northern NY, almost on the Canadian border. They do get tons of snow and actually encourage out of bounds skiing. They get influenced by the skiers from Canada who are much less suit happy and responsible for their actions.

Have you ever skied in Lake Tahoe? I spent a whole winter there after college (1979) collecting unemployment from NJ and skiing every day. Except of course when I was looking for work.

I did ski Colorado a few years ago when my Texas trip was in June and A-Basin whas the only option for skiing. Hit a cloudless day. Dressed in shorts and T-shirt of course, hiked up to the Continental Divide, had lunch with some ladies from Australia, shot the chutes, and peeled layers of skin from my face and legs for the next week! It doesn't get much better than that.

Have a great winter, and I will take you up on your offer if I do get out to Colorado soon.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Last edited by mattski; 10-17-2002 at 11:40 AM.