View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Re: Crank Pully Picture

The more I read that crap, the madder I get.

The argument that the reduced weight and removal of the rubber ring will destroy the front main bearing is wrong! The rubber ring between the two halves of the stock pulley is to make up for mfr. differences. Two cheap cast pieces pressed together with rubber allows for additional slop in both.

No. Balancing has nothing to do with weight magnitude but rather weight distribution. Imbalance on heavy pieces can potentially cause more damage than on lightweight pieces, which therefore makes the OEM a higher quality part since it is heavier (with mass further away from the rotating axle) yet still has to be perfectly balanced.

If Subaru chose to install a pulley like ours would add significant cost to the engine and is not cost effective for a production piece. The rubber ring is NOT a harmonic balancer!

That POS costs 2$ to manufacture... Subaru sell theirs for 150$. Go figure the logic behind his argument.

You should go to your car and let it idle. Raise the hood and note how the belts will track side to side and up and down. This is a result of the much less than precise pulley found from the factory. This causes undue stress and wear not only on the pulleys but on the belts and accessories as well. Installation of our pulley will result in smooth, true, and long lasting belt wear and accessory lifespan is increased.

Belts do track side to side up and down... after a 6 pack of beer.

Plus, throttle response, HP and torque are all increased dramatically for such an inexpensive painless part.

Dramatically... what's a dramatic hp increase on a 230hp engine? How much hp do they "think" they are actually "freeing"?

Crank bearings, and rod bearings are much more prone to premature wearout from increasing boost than from installation of a precision made billet pulley. This should not be a concern.

Guess again.

The main reason for a dampener is to help prevent crank walk and since the engine does not have to fight gravity in its running cycle there is no crank walk and hence no need for a dampening system.

Crankwalk... an expression made up by early 2G DSM enthousiasts (and solely by them unless I believe) when they realized their crank would move a qarter inch sideways when they'd depress their clutch. ANYTHING they could put the blame on for bearing failure was considered... removing the harmonic balancer sure wouldn't help, but it was no patch Mitsu came up with for a cranwalk fix. And all that gravity bullcrap, I mean can this guy even be taken seriously, even as a clown?

Basically you can search all day long and find arguments on both sides of the fence, to each their own though. I am not doing anything crazy with my engine or going for excessive HP or SC/Turbo, so I am fairly certain this is a mod that will do what is intended for my purpose. Besides I wasn't promoting or pushing the lightweight one, I was offering my original one for basically the price of shipping.

Whatever man... it's your engine.

Last edited by TurboIQ; 02-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.