Thread: rust...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: rust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Krown or Rustcheck. I have used Rustcheck on my SVX since new and have only now just got a small bubble on one door. Drive all year long and not garaged. These are the only two products of worth in my opinion.

(Apologies to benebob)

Problem with Krown or Rustcheck is that it is all dependent on the quality of the applicator doing the work. I know that most of the companies stateside have gone out of business with the advent of 10 year rust warranties from the factory, lots of lawsuits during the 70s and 80s and a public that simply buys a new kia every 3 years and "recycles" the old one. Yeah in an ideal world on a new car I'd go with a good serivce such as the ones you suggest but finding one here is nearly impossible, most won't touch an old car to begin with as they cannot warranty it since the rust starts the day it rolls off the assembly line.

Not that I totally advocate an oil bath but it does work very well. Gave my Brat a bath every year with gear oil and it definately kept the tin worn from breeding like rabbits. Getting inside of all those crevises are what is the key and like you said there are some very good products and companies who will do it.

Michael's statement is dead on. To build a new car today the emissions that's put out equals that of driving a mid 60s era big block muscle car 12k a year for 3 years. A little oil splatter here and there isn't gonna be that big of an impact. if you can lessen the number of cars you buy in your life by say 5. That said you can always buy an oil carpet and do it in Al Gore's garage. I'm told he's got plenty of lights and space for his mammoth family. Just be sure to bring along your cds with the Parental Advisory stickers to keep Tipper happy.