View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM

Registered SVX
Re: ebay goodies not what i was looking for but still cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
ive been a passenger in one of the d/range foresters they seem to be pretty good gear change and acceleration wise .so they might be alright ??

my bro has an 89 lib/leg wagon with d/range (i dont think he has ever used it tho) i have breifly and it was fairly smooth although i did the same upshifted straight from 2nd to 5th .
i havent seen (in person) let alone drove an rx here and ive never heard of part time 4wd box do you mean like the leones ie. fwd with 4wd lever ?

heres the wiki link for foresters it says the first gen had dual range manual option on all models bar the GT
Heres a pic of the Part time 4wd on my new 1990 Mi 4WD JDM Legacy.
Its more like the part time 4WD like of a 1987 Vortex I had etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
My experience with the dual range boxes is from my old RX Leone rally car. When in low range, the drive goes through a very weak drop gear, and they consequently break all the time.

For crawling around, they aren't even that good because the drop gear is only about 1.5:1 vs 2:1 for serious off roaders.

Most of the newer boxes, as long as they aren't from an STI RA have nice tall cruisy gears.

If you want to be unique...check out the new 6 speeds in the lastest Outbacks. It's not the normal STi 6 speed, so won't be as heavy...and the ratios are VERY cruisy. Not sure how you'd get your hands on one, but I'd expect they'll be coming in via importers this year.

Just my few cents.
Did you have the old turbo RX?
I had been talking to a guy a while back that had owned possums old RX rally car. The whole time he had it he never blown the gearbox in it

Do you know if those new 6 speed gearboxs come with Dual range?
They do mount in a completely different places compaired to all the older subarus so would be much harder to retro fit into something else. Be intresting to see it tho.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration