View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 AM

Re: My progress so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Wow, you're good danny. I can't tell even after you mentioned it.
I noticed before he said anything, fit and finish are the first things I notice on a car, the way the doors fit on his car would be totally unacceptable at the shop I work at. I wanted to say something as soon as I saw the pictures, but didn't want to sound mean, so I didn't say anything at all.

I probably have 4 hours in adjusting my passenger's door alone, but the car was hit from that side and had been repaired by someone totally incompetent and had NO gap between the quarter and the door when I got the car. I only have about an hour in the driver's door, since it wasn't bad, maybe 1/16" off at the striker. Now they open and close like a brand new car, which is important since I have no door handles.

I would have taken some time and made those fiberglass splitters on the front bumper fit better too, I understand that is how they come out of the box, but a little time with a grinder and some Tiger Hair and they would fit like they would if Subaru made them. Of course, you shouldn't mold them to the bumper, that is just asking for cracks, but minimizing the inconsistencies in the gap between them and the bumper would have made a big difference.

Considering it is your first big job, you did pretty good. I don't want to pick it apart too much, since you are happy with it, which is all that matters. There are a bunch of little things that would bug the hell out of me if that were my car though.