View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Re: How I see SVX World Network

Just a quick reply. Chris, the Mustang II was a real disaster. It was a hasty reaction to the oil crisis. Suddenly gas prices soared, and people were scrambling for stuff that didn't cost so much to run. Ford made a Mustang on a Pinto platform. It sold cars then, but they are eminently forgettable now.
Any car can be made to last for a long time if it is well maintained. But to maintain a car well, you have to care about it. I have often said that the worst cars seem to attract the worst drivers. That's because they don't care. The same is true of those people who drive what are called "recreational trucks." They don't really need a truck, they just like the image it gives them. I have no problem with people who drive trucks because they use them for their work, whatever that may be. I even succumbed to that at one point, and owned a truck for three years. I spent a lot of money getting it to be a decent vehicle, and when I was through, it still didn't handle, rode horribly, and sucked gas. I sold it and went back to cars. Nate, that's why your cars serve you so well. You take care of them. Driving a car like you stole it isn't going to hurt it so long as you change the oil, lube the suspension, and do whatever else is required to keep it running well. On my SVX, I'm still fixing things neglected by the second, third, and fourth owners, who didn't care. I'm the second owner of my Alfa, and I rescued it from a first owner who didn't care, and it is serving me well. My Australian Capri is the same way, the first owner was an actress who bought it because it was "cute" and didn't bother to take care of anything. At 111000 miles, it's serving me well also.
If the manufacturers make cars that their owners will want to take care of, the cars will survive. If the owners feel they are like an appliance, they will wind up in the scrap heap like worn out appliances.
I went on too long here.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri