View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
it's either the PVC is clogged or the rubber o-ring around the dipstick isn't doing it's job anymore. I changed my PVC valve and still had the problem.

the o-ring path is easiest to try first. Cut off the old one using a razor knife and take it in with you to a hardware store - match it up and put it on the dipstick. I think it cost me 17 cents at my local Ace Hardware - just make sure to ask one of the old hands in there if the material can handle oil.
The PCV only vents the crankcase at idle or cruse. It is closed when the pedal is down, so the only way for the crankcase to vent then, is through the two pipes that run from the top of the cam covers, to the bottom of the air box, in front of the throttle body. These two pipes are connected together, through a passage that connects to the air delivery pipe on the right hand side of the throttle body, by a small elbow pipe.

There is probable a blockage in this area, where the elbow pipe connects to the cam cover pipe passages. Can gum up like the rest of this area.

Disconnect the two hoses off the cam covers, block one of them and blow into the other. It should be free to flow air, out the small elbow pipe.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.