View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Phil & Belha

Unhappy Gearbox failed again ?

I drove home from work at lunchtime and noticed that something wasn't right with the car. There was a very slight almost imperceptable low-frequency vibration. Most people wouldn't even have noticed it, but I know this car well and I could tell something was different to normal. However I couldn't really put my finger on what it was or where is was coming from.

Then after lunch on the way back to work I reversed out of my driveway into the middle of the road. Put the stick in D and there was a loud bang and a screech of metal on metal. The car didn't move. Engine runs sweetly, but I have no gears forward or back, just a whole load of neutral.

I got Belha to tow it out of the middle of the road and onto the grass verge outside my house. Of course it was lashing down with rain and hail stones, just to add to the fun.

Anybody else had this, or like to speculate on what could be wrong?

I've had two trans failures before, the usual sort from overheating. But it's different this time because it's sudden and the oil was barely warm. I'd only driven it a mile or so, slow and gentle. It's like something has snapped or come adrift.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II