Thread: Tweeters
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Tweeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemgee View Post
I've got door speakers; just looking for the tweeters.
If your door speakers already have tweeters then you may consider trading up to a set of "component" speakers that have no tweeter in the middle and a crossover to send the highs to the dash and lows to the door. Otherwise, if I'm reading you right, you'll have the same signal going to both speakers resulting in overly heavy highs with a lot of distortion coming from the overloaded tweeters in the dash.

Basically you want to upgrade door and dash together to keep things balanced and the respective frequencies going where they belong. My Infinity Reference set cost about 2/3 what the Kappas will run you, but you get what you pay for.

FWIW, I broke my tweeter trim trying to take out the stock ones. The new ones came with a couple options for trim and luckily one fit like a glove. They stick out of the dash quite a bit, so there goes my attempt to keep it "stock looking" but they don't look out of place.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.