View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Radar/Laser Detector w/scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
uh what kind of evidence is a blank gun? sorry they can't give you a ticket with no reading to back it up...and an officers estimation of speed is done through the method of "pacing", which they have to be following you to do. It's one or the other...if a cop is following you yeah you should probably slow down.

Not that I disagree with your basic point of just driving safely - you're right. However, if I'm driving on an empty straight stretch of road in a car that's capable of going really fast - I want to be able to do so!
Its enough evidence for them to suspect you, pull you over for some menial violation like 1 mph over the limit, and demand you hand over the jammer. Believe me, blank screens RARELY happen in normal circumstances for any microwave band or laser, so they know somethings up. And an officer CAN estimate your speed from ANYWHERE in line of sight.... they dont have to pace you (learned that the hard way, 80 in a 50 zone). Even if they dont convict you on the speed violation, they will fine you for illegal equipment and confiscate it. Dont think they will search you? If you dont give them consent, you wait for the K9 unit, hope youre not in a hurry..... and if theres ever been a trace of pot, meth, coke, etc in your car from you or a previous owner, and the dog alerts, they rip your car apart to find what they think is there. I have friends in the NHP and sheriffs dept, and hear about this stuff. I love to drive fast also, but id save it for the track or drag strip.... or make a trip to the salt flats and peg your speedometer.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.