View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Dilemma

Understand your dilemma. It might be best to drive it like it is if windshield is not too bad. You could always polish the headlights according to instructions on here. With this approach your insurance does not go up and the sale value does not change significantly. Clear headlight conversion is also an alternative. Side lights can be bought on Ebay for around $20 each. A good waterfall grill on Ebay is also not very expensive. I guess it really depends on just how bad the paint damage is.

The next best would be to get the repair shop to give a more realistic estimate and maybe even consider using some used parts. The $1500 for windshield replacement sounds a bit excessive by maybe $400-500. The last time I checked the dealer price for a windshield as slightly over $900 and a body shop would get maybe a 20 percent discount from that. A seal kit should be less than $100 and labor also around $100.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any examples you could use with the insurance company to get them to increase the claim basis. I just bought an excellent shape 96 LSi with 142K miles for $2900. A 97 LSi with 52K miles just sold for $8000.

You might check on AutoTrader (online) to see what people are asking for their cars, but I think few of them get what they are asking.

My sympathy.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 02-11-2005 at 06:42 PM.