View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Fwd to awd conversion help

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICSVX View Post
Have my 94L and a 92Ls and want to do a fwd to awd swap. I know most is just remove and replace but is there anything I should know? Tcu removal? How hard to remove shifter assembly? Anything that fwd is missing to make awd work right?

Planning to the swap and get my car running again soon and don't want many surprises

Thanks guys and gals
I had mine swapped from FWD to 5spd AWD. Have question you can ask. You will need a rear subframe. it bolts right up, the only different between AWD and FWD (hardware) is rear diff, rear subframe and drive shaft (axles too). You can get all of that from a donor SVX.

Obviously you need AWD transmission. Axles are the same for the front, need to get new ones (unless they are on the way out, might as well replace them at that point).

As far as the TCU, I am not sure, as I switched to 5spd. Maybe ask SVXfiles or 1986Nate
For the record, FWD was only 94 and 95.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles