View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Here's the basics. It's been a while, but I think I have it all covered...

- Get the rear end in the ground, on stands with the wheels free.
- You may need to remove the heat shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft??
- Remove the 4x12mm headed nuts/bolts that connect the driveshaft to the front flange on the diff. Use a screwdriver in the yoke to keep the shaft from spinning to loosen the nuts.
- There should be enough play to get the driveshaft away from the flange, push the driveshaft up above the flange.
- Use a pry bar to pop the inner joint of the axles out of the diff. DO NOT try to remove them at this point. Just pop them out about 1/2 inch (13mm).
- Use a 17mm socket to remove the nuts from the studs going through the crossmember at the rear of the differential. If the nuts are rusted to the stud, and the stud turns out of the differential, that is even better.
- Support the diff with a jack
- I think there are 6x17mm bolts holding the front end of the diff to the subframe?? (All soobs mount the front differently???)
- Slowly lower the diff untill you have enough room to remove the axles. The stub on the right axle is longer, so remove the left axle first.

Last edited by Hocrest; 10-14-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: OT set me straight...