Thread: Real Engineers
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I give engineers credit for the idea's, But it's the techs that have to make it work and keep it going. I've been on a few jobs where the engineer drawings ended up being more of a suggestion. Some Idea's look good on paper, but need alot of adjustments to work in the intended fashion.

This holds espically true if more than one contractor is used to do a job or if it is an upgade to something that has been in place for a while. Then again it could just be the way of the government.

You get in there and find out the stuff isnt the way the engineers thought it was. Some on used solid concrete instead of block, 2x8's instead of 2x10's ect.

And then if you have 2 systems that have to be integrated that were each designed and built by 2 different companys to do a specific part of a total job. Then they dont work together. They both do there job independently, they just wont work together. Then you got 2 groups that claim there stuff is working according to spec and it must be the other system. The techs get all the fun of figuring how to get the systems to play nice with each other.

If you want examples I could share.

Last edited by mikecg; 08-19-2004 at 10:04 AM.