Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Front Look Design Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
No worries Joe, I do not mind at all.

You are right, the front splitter is not my pride and joy, but the bumper, I think this is the only one that looks excellent on the SVX. I didn't copy any Cloud design with it, it was just something I imagined from the 2002 WRX bumper and I ended up making a copy of the bumper and integrate it in the SVX. BTW, this is all fiberglass and not FG over plastic BS.

The good thing about that splitter is that it is bolted to the bumper. Just in case it gets damaged, I will remove it alone and redo it. But when I get back, I have a huge project for the SS, and will definitely be upgrading the front splitter, even the front bumper. The real surprise will be the rear bumper though

You are right about the S14 splitter in the last photo, I guess the clear vertical corner looks sexy from that angle, that is a must
Good angle all right. No comment.

Danny I can see very strong resemblance to the WRX you copied from. What I meant was the opening below the bumper is a similar size and shape to the opening on the Cloud Mark 1 design.

Probably pure coincidence.

The execution of the work was excellent but it's my opinion that a bumper that works OK on a rally based car need not necessarily be stylistically suitable on a GT coupe. Again I hark back to and harp on about the fact that bumpers that drop vertically from the nose and vertically in front of the wheels at the corner end up looking like a snow plough or cow catcher on the SVX because of the amount of metal forward of the wheels.

Such bumpers work a treat on something like the 350Z because there is only a few inches of nose beyond the wheels on that car.

With the SVX the front bumper has to be returned underneath and slimmed at the sides to retain the car's penetrative look. I'm not even going to rephrase that even if it is an opening for double entendre. The SVX design study has styling cues taken from Fuji's aircraft manufacturer past. The main one is the unusual cockpit/cabin, but the long pointed nose/fuselage is another. Putting rallying skirts on the nose ruins the design integrity.

It is very, very possible to put a new bumper on the SVX and update the look while retaining the core design values that mimic projectiles and air penetration. The Cloud Mark 1 above is an excellent upgrade style, all it needs is to be folded back underneath from the most forward point to maintain the aggressive bullet profile.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl