View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
This thread finally prompted me to hook up the MAF signal and tachometer signal to my LM-1 data logger. Below are the results for a WOT run that I made this morning on the way to work. The outside air temperature was about 82F, so there was a bit less oxygen than usual. The MAF is peaking right at around 4.5 volts in all four gears. According to Michael's plots, that leaves about 20% headroom for engine mods. But there should be at least 10% reserve for driving in cold temperatures where the air has about 10% greater density. So, realistically, the stock MAF does indeed have only about 10% headroom for engine mods which isn't much (only about 230*1.1 ~ 250 max HP).

Actually 4.56 volts is 86.3% and 4.64 volts is 90.2% of the theoretical max of the svx mass air meter and is only 4 and 3 readings down respectively from the theoretical max--as you can see resolution at this far extreme of the meter is poor. With the z32maf this reading would be around 3.76 volts and lie right in the meaty belly of the curve.