View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ok i just did a headgasket on my SVX and it is not too hard.
Also, the thermostat was probobly replaced w/ the water pump. BUT you should go out and get a new one anyway. Once you have the new thermostat, drain and flush your radiator. Then pop the thermostat housing and replace it with the new one. once you have everything hooked back up, refill while the car is running. Wait until the car reaches running temp then add if needed. Fill the resevior to proper amount. Drive the car around and see if the problem is still there. If it is, bring it to a shop and ask them to diagnose if the head gasket is shot.
OR if you can do it, go to NAPA or some autp store and pick up a block tester. This little device is awsome and i used it to check my work when doing my headgasket. It is a glass tube w/ rubber ends. also includes a ball w/ a check valve. This comes w/ blue liquid that checks the air in the rad. THis will require you to syphon some fluid from the rad, and pull the overflow hose.
Once the fluid level is down and the overflow hose is off, plug the overflow nipple on the rad. Then follow instructions to test the air in the radiator. If there is exhaust in the coolant(which means ur headgasket is shot) it will turn the blue liquid green or yellow. If there is not (headgasket is ok) it will remain blue. easy to check and will save a lot of money if a new gasket isn't needed. Well good luck but i suggest flushing radiator and replacing thermostat first.