View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by msvx95
Even though I'm not a pro at this.......I did have a similar problem with my 90 legacy.....The temp. needle acted funny like yours does and mine started to be consistent, but to the point of me only being able to drive the car for about 5 minutes before reaching red zone in the temp gage.......It turned out to be head gasket....I didn't see smoke but, everynow and then the coolant would microscopically hit the exhaust.....I never saw any coolant on the ground though.......But the good folks at Subaru fixed it for 1000.......No problems now though......

But also check to see if your thermostadt is bad or.......maybe this is a remote possibility......Are your electric fans kicking on or cutting out?......Kinda hard to know that when you are driving though........

I'm curious to know the answer too!
hehe, I am (proudly) the expert concerning this issue.
first of all check out the termostat (that should be changed each 30000 miles).
second check if the fans are working properly when the cars heats up. their heating sensor should give the order for them to work,
third check if all the hoses in which water flows are not having any air instead of water (sorry for the way I am putting it).
fourth check if your radiator is plugged with sand or...,
fifth check if a malfunction in your tranny is affecting the engine to work harder thus overheating (a long shot... but it happens), sixth check if there isn't any water leak of some kind from any hose/engine.
seventh, check all the different levels of oil in your car, maybe you are running on an empty engine. also a probability that any one of your exhausts is plugged, it can overheat the engine. and finally I diagnose your problem with the gaskets syndrome.

as a resume, your problem mostly lies with either the fans, or the thermostat, or the gaskets and or radiator...

I hope I helped in any possible way, but i wish the problem is just with the termostat.

PS: changing gaskets for the legacy is $1000 in the states??? Man!! over here is just $100 including their cost !!

Keep us updated !!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.