View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Reply on ramps

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

Randy, Wade a minit.. do you have a grease pit dug next to the outhouse? I've always missed not being able to change my own fluids without a rigger in my carport or a service appointment. Can you document the "how-to"? B.
Nope, no pit. I just lay flat on my back in the driveway. The drain plug is easily reachable. Slide the drain pan under, udo the plug (making sure it doesn't drop into the pan -- nasty!). Let the oil drain (warm it up a bit, first, to help it drain -- not too hot, you've still got to get the filter).

To get the filter, I've simply become accustomed to knowing where it is. I have a filter wrench that fits onto the bottom of the filter and accepts a socket wrench. Snap it on, give a few short "torques" with the wrench (obviosly, there's not much "throw" space), pull the wrench, unscrew the filter (trying to take care not to let it completely drain into the "undercover" -- it's gonna get messy any way you look at it) and slowly lower it trying not to spill any more than you have to. I have to use my left hand to do all the filter work, cuz it's a little tight under there. I fit the filter by "feel" (Stevie Wonder is blind, by the way, Mattski ). I feel for the threaded receiver, then, by feel, align the filter with the receiver and spin it on. Easy. Then, I put the drain plug back in (these days, more securely than prior to the Canaan Valley meet ). Pour in your six quarts of new oil (or, 6.5 if you're anal) and voila!! No biggie.

Your arm gets a little scrubbed from having to reach between components and the undercover, but, it's worth it to me not to have to take out all the screws in the undercover and risk stripping them.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI