Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: This strange aftermarket arrangement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Thanks, Joe. The only funny thing with the Hella setup was how the high beams ("long" here) were turned OFF by pushing the stalk when the Hellas were disabled by the switch. It's a bit odd and makes me a little suspicious concerning removal of the kit.

As for the alarm, the question was more in the direction of "are all aftermarket alarms basically installed the same way and how?" The automatic arming can be disabled once I establish the model of the alarm and have it reset so I can provide a new PIN.

Thanks!
Hi Jetboy

Yes, I found that more than a bit odd. I'm assuming with your Hellas no longer in use your lights stalk has reverted to normal, normal being that you push the stalk away from you to activate high beams?

Anyway it should be OK and safe now that the lights are not in use. It may have been caused by how the Hellas switch is wired into your lights stalk at the column. You possibly had an earth picking up a live where it should not. Or something like that.

And yes, I agree that's what you need to reset the alarm. Aftermarket alarms are broadly similar in the way they are set up. However to keep thieves guessing they are usually wired in with black wires only and into multiple circuits so that the wiring pattern is not obvious or easy for thieves to get around.

So for that reason they will each have their own idiosyncrasies and unique patterns. In theory you would not expect them to be very similar or identical. Thieves would very quickly learn how to get past them and steal your car.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl