View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
About one month ago i took apart my starter motor and replaced the contacts because i was having a hard time getting the starter to run sometimes. That seemed to work perfectley for about 2 months, where i have the same problem as i did before, it will start about 80% of the time with no problem, but the other times it just makes the tick sound when i try to turn it over. SOmetimes if i hold the key to start position it will eventulley statrt after a couple of seconds. I know the battery is good and charged up because when it does turn over after a couple of tries it cranks the engine over very quickley, if it desides to work, but other times it just wont work. Should i completley rebuild the starter or should i look for wiring problems. Also my cars a 5spd and the donor car had 220,000 + miles on it so it may have been the origanal starter from donor car that I am using on my car right now. Thanks
Not sure that contacts you replaced. Got to be one of three things.
1. Wiring problem, in the switch to solenoid wiring. Usually fixed by fitting a relay.
2. Starter solenoid contacts burnt. Solenoid clicks. but wont turn on the starter motor. Replace.
3. The brushes in the starter motor are worn down too much for the springs to keep contact with the commutator, usually the starter motor makes a grinding sound Overhaul the starter.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.