View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelsy2k1
hey guys,

one of my belts is driving me nuts with squeeling,everytime i turn or accelerate it starts squeeling! my dad and I get the feeling it may be scraping the belt cover or it may just need new belts, any ideas? thanks
This is easy to fix. I just love the relative ease of working on Subarus...

As the squealing occurs when you turn or accelerate it sounds like it's the belt that runs from the crank pulley -to- alternator -to- power steering pump -to- idler puley (you made no mention of having your a/c on). The belt just probably needs a little tightening. However, if you see cracks in the rubber, it needs to be replaced.

1) Use a 10mm socket wrench to remove the two bolts that hold the black plastic belt cover in place.

2) Take the closed end of a 14mm wrench and loosen the bolt that holds the idler pulley in place (idler pulley is located directly below the black p/s pump). Loosen the bolt - but no need to take it off completely.

3) There's a tensioner mechanism that runs diagonally upwards from the idler pulley. Use a 12mm wrench to tighten the bolt on the end of the tensioner pulley. As you tighten it up, you should feel the tension in the belt increasing.

4) When you've got the desired tension in the belt, lock the 14mm bolt at the front of the idler pulley down.

5) Replace plastic belt cover.

You're done!

If belt continues to slip slightly, you may want to pick up a $3 can of belt dressing from your local parts store and/or a new belt.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)