View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Re: Every member please check in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
It will also tempt you to test it's prowess which will certainly get you in trouble with the law, not to mention possible injury .
Yes, this.

My first car was a 69hp Nissan Sentra classic (3-speed automatic, just to make matters worse). I didn't appreciate it back then, but its lack of power and governed 140km/h top speed probably saved my life.

I looked into an SVX a few years later (I think I was 19 or 20 at the time), and in retrospect, it probably would have been a bad idea. By the time I did get one (I'd just turned 25 a few days prior), I think I was mature enough to handle it. That said, I still did some pretty stupid things with it from time to time.

The flipside of that, if you DO get in over your head, the SVX is a pretty safe car - you won't find too many other machines of that vintage with that many safety features and built to that degree of tankishness.

That said, unless you are mechanically handy or eager to dive in and learn, this car is probably a bad choice. Relying on others to have it fixed will be difficult and expensive. For the things that I can't do myself for lack of tools or experience, I've had many shops flat out turn me away. Just something to bear in mind.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*