View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Pulsing idle, voltage drop. Bad alt? W/ video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
Both Advance and Autozone near me are showing it as a special order part. This is no good, since I need it tomorrow. Wednesday at the VERY latest. The dealer is my last hope. It'll be $$, but at least it's an OEM part and not a questionable reman.

Thanks for the tips on resurrecting it if it dies. Hopefully it'll be replaced before that becomes necessary though.

While this is happening, the battery light isn't coming on at all. The dash appears normal, aside from dimming when the voltage dips. But I'm afraid the weird voltage spikes will get worse and start to ruin more things if I run it too long like that. I'm not sure how well it's charging either. I'm hoping I can resurrect my speaker amp once this is sorted out, but not going to hold my breath on that. It's definitely not the fans - in fact, the problem is most obvious when the car is first started when cold and the fans aren't running.

You are right though, it could be some short somewhere. I doubt that it's a frayed wire though, since the pulsing seems timed - it's very even, not erratic at all. I just can't think of anything that would be constantly pulsing like that that would cause this.
If there IS a short somewhere, it would have to be somewhere thru one of your relays to pull that much amperage from the system. Take a flat blade screw driver and hold the tip on the relays while you have your ear on the handle and see if you can hear any one of them engage when this happens.

I would just eliminate your stereo setup and any weird electrical issues before dropping major coin on a dealer alternator, which might not solve the problem and also may be non-returnable.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 12-21-2009 at 11:15 PM.