View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Kiteless

Rrrrrrrrrroooad Trip.

Hey guys. Well since the SVX has been really good to me, I think I feel good about taking it on a (roughly) 780 mile road trip from Fremont, CA to Phoenix AZ (MapQuest it), then 780mi back. I am on a very limited budget, but plan on doing some repairs before I go. For one it has a really wonky idle when it is cold, so I am going to replace the plugs. (I know there could be other things wrong, but I think that is a good place to start.) Since it is so easy, I am also going to replace the fuil filter, as Juffy Lube keeps telling me it is time. I already have purchased, but just need to install. Lastly the water pump is at an age (in miles) where it should be replaced, so I am going to get in there and replace the Timing Belt and the Water Pump.

I am going to pay a local Subaru Dealer $185 to install some platinums I already have.

Timing Belt Part# 13028AA120 from Subaru Parts dot com $76.16
Water Pump Complete# 21111AA033 from Subaru Parts dot com $91.40

I am going to attempt to install those parts my self. I am not going to replace the idlers, as I do not think I am going to need to.

I found some nice how to's on timing belt replacement in these forums, and I think I have the ability to do it myself. I have access to serious tools. My friend works on his own Vette and he is letting me use them.

Any feedback on what I am going to do here. Ideas, ways to save money, or any gotchas you all can think of? Anyone out there that has done this but not really have a mechanical back ground?

I have a 1994 SVX-L with 114k miles on it. Running on Yokohama ZR ES-100's. Smallcar.com resistor shift kit, 20"x10" ATF cooler, installed (THANKS DAVE). Everything else stock.

- Jason

Last edited by Kiteless; 11-18-2005 at 03:45 PM.