Thread: SVX Value
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
I just bought one, here is why...

A close friend of mine used to sell these things brand new back in the day. He loved them and when he started his own used car dealership, bought and sold around 4 of them.

Around 1997 we took one to the Detroit Auto show from Dayton Ohio. I got to drive the car on the way up. I fell in love with the SVX. I just liked everything about it. I said to myself......"some day"....!!!

I also just recently sold a Sunbeam Tiger II which I had had for 22 years. I paid $3200 for it which by some, was $400 to high, but it WAS a nice car. Over the years I put around another $800 in for this and that. I also had bought my son a TR6 to drive in high school. We had a few 240Z along the way also.

I really did like that TR6...came into a little (I did say little) money and bought myself another TR6 to speculate and enjoy. Now the more I found out about this 6, the more it became a keeper. If I could just figure out how to make it fast, I would like it better than the Tiger. The Tiger handled like a pig, and the 6 was great and I was into autocrossing bigtime at that time in my life.

I found this guy in Landcaster Pa who could make them fly....long story short the 6 became a 14.2 car and I sold the Tiger a few years ago after having both of them at the same time for about 8 of those years. Sold the Tiger for $22,500. Now that same car is worth around $50k six years later. My TR6 three years ago I turned down $18000 twice.

Bottom line....I still like the TR6 better. I made it what I wanted in a sportscar and I am happy. Would never again own a Tiger at todays inflated prices even if I could afford the $50k. I know what the car is NOT!!! For $50 k I could buy my buddy's (same guy that had the SVXs) Viper GTS Coupe. Now THAT is a NICE car worth $50k. These guys paying $200k for Camaros and Mopars are NUTS!! You could buy a nice Ford GT for $160K and have a modern car that is REALLY fast. A Z06 used is a good bargain, also a used Z3 coupe or even BMW M3....might need supercharged though.

I digress however....the SVX. We were looking for another Acura Integra and it looked like I was going to have to pay $6 or $7k for a nice one. Then I thought.....I wonder what SVXs are going for. I lucked onto a 93 AEdition (77k miles) for $3800 in Indiana. Took my buddy with me (remember him, he had had 4 of them) for advise. He almost bought it out from under me, while I was dickering for another $200 off. Their asking price was $6000 but had had it for 9 months and wanted rid of it....took a loss (a dealership).

We both fell in love with it all over again. 10 years later and we both still thought this car was NICE. It has become my favorite driver....now I am used to getting looks with my TR6 and even the 300Ztwin turbo. (425hp 12.6 quarter) This thing gets me all of the same attention as those. At $3800 I can afford another tranny in the future. I think it is a bargain at twice the price and probably what it is really worth.

My son just bought a BMW 540i Sport 6-speed for $15k, my brother in law a BMW convertible for $28 grand. Another buddy a Porsche Boxster S for $28k. Take all of them to the local cruise....I guarantee you the one that will get the most looks will be the SVX!! Also on the road. Now two of those ARE faster...who cares!!! I have fast cars already. I truely love the drive the SVX offers and its features....love the looks and so do most others by the way it gets attention. I will not see myself coming and going....somebody that has a bigger checkbook than I and willing to put it in the engine, wheels etc.

I have a rare car I love and that is why I bought it! The guy who just paid $11k for his 27k mile SVX must have thought so too...how about the guy he outbid? These guys have a lot of choices at that kind of money...and I dare say they are savy car guys (or at least the one that got it is).

I think the nice ones are going to go up. Too good a bargain for what you get. Are they going to reach $25k some day.....I think not. Then again I never thought the Tiger would get there either. I still don't think they are worth that kind of money for what you can get for $25k otherwise....like I would have my eye on a Z3 coupe instead let alone $50k.

I think $6k to $11k for the SVX and proper inflation each year thereafter.

Sorry to be so longwinded, but that is the way I am.

Dave

Last edited by Dayton-Dave; 03-21-2007 at 09:06 PM.