View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieGravy
Sometimes when I start my car up cold and turn the wheel really far in one direction, the serp belt squeals. When I straighten the steering wheel out, the squealing stops. When the car warms up, the squealing doesn't happen at all. Just curious how tight the belt should be. I've heard about a half inch of play. I don't want to tighten it up too much and damage the pulleys.

Also, ps fluid (dexron III) appears very thin/watery and has a milky-white coloration to it. I don't think it's aeration as there are no bubbles in the fluid.

I just recently replaced my pump and the fluid is new. Any thoughts on these issues?

Thank you.
Davie, as you say "when I start my car up cold and turn the wheel really far in one direction, the serp belt squeals" This is pretty normal in cold weather, if the belt is loose. If it has a 1/2" play, it is too loose. When the wheel is turned to the stops, it hits maximum pressure, to open the pressure relief valve, and the belt will slip. Worst when the oil is cold and thicker.

The milky appearance of the ATF is due to the water that is in it. Drain and refill, tighten the belt and all should be OK.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.