View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 03:48 PM
gamblergw

leak

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Unless you have a lot of faith in this shop, I think they may be telling you a story. The drier is a single housing out of something like spun aluminum. On top are two fittings for in/out. Each of these fittings has a nylon (or some such plastic) gasket. I suspect it is the gasket that leaked out (of course maybe autozone is selling some strange stuff - without seeing it...).

Anyway, before they charged the system they should have pulled a vacuum for a half-hour or more to dry out the system. That should have revealed a leak and they shouldn't have charged it if it couldn't hold the vacuum.

Keep in mind I'm not an A/C tech, but I have taken mine apart, replaced compressor & drier under a tech's supervision at the Air Force Base Auto Hobby Shop where I work. This story just doesn't sound right to me.

Maybe somebody else can chime in here, but without knowing more, I'd be hesitent to recommend going back there. Just my $0.02.
I agree with lee, I think the shop is a place i would not take my car to.. I to have replaced about every part of air condition parts.. I still think it is low on freon.. Remove the cap on the low side and push in the little valve (looks like a tire valve) just for a split secont.. If it sounds like air comming out of a tire, then it has freon. The shop should repair the leak for no charge (No pun) I still think it is low on freon.. It is right on the verge of the limit of being to low PSI by there own admitance... Jim