View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 09:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
a bit confused

Ok, I'll start by answering the question. I always drive in D. Even going uphill, or downhill (actually downhill is a different story, depends how steep).

Why?

Simple, the tranny designed to do that. It is designed to shift up and down. And not only that, the common sense, when the RPM is low, you get less wear on the engine, when RPM is high, it is easier in some cases for the engine, but you use it up a lot more.

Of course, SVX has a very weak tranny, but by driving it in 3d, you don't save it at all. You force it to spin at a very high RPM, and burn all the clutches inside, or wear them out a lot faster.

Going back couple pages back, when Trevor said that
Quote:
When left to its own devices it will hunt up and down from D to 3
, please correct me if I am being wrong, or excuse me if I am being impolite, but the tranny does not always shift D to 3. It shifts 1-2-3-Lock up-4-lock up. Going down it skips Lock up, but from what I know that shifting does not really hurt the tranny as much as spinning it at a very high RPM.

If you guys interested in more details, I will ask my mechanic about all this, he knows a lot more then me, since he works in the tranny shop.
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9