Thread: TURBOs!?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Re: TURBOs!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post

Why is setting a horsepower number so important? Why can't I just do the upgrades that I know work and then see what the horsepower is?

It's important because many things on these motors are just still unknowns simply because no one has done it. You need to know what CFM your motor makes now, what your target hp. is, and then if you decide turbo is the way to go, what CFM your turbo needs to be to get you to your desired horsepower. From that you can figure what amount of boost you need, you can determine what stock parts would survive and what would not. From there you start to get a pretty good idea of the costs that becomes involved and you can start to get your head around what is REALLY needed to make it happen.

You can never overplan something like this, and yes having a hp. goal in mind is a good place to start. If you just start "slapping" parts on/together it'll never be what you hoped for, and you'll wish you'd taken the time to do it right the first time.

As for myself, I am planning on a 250-ish whp. low pressure turbo system that will simply make the car feel like it looks!

And no, I'm really NOT trying to rain on your parade. I'm just saying take the time to figure out what you really want, learn and read a LOT, and you CAN it it right the first time. What you want to do really can be done, just not as easily as you'd originally hoped. But that's not a deterant either! It just means you need to know the ins and outs of something before modifying it!

Some good books to check out (or buy) concerning the matter are:

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, TURBO by Jay K. Miller, How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman, Turbocharging Performance Handbook by Jeff Hartman, and Superchargers Turbochargers and Nitrous Oxide (can't remember the author.) These are all books that I bought and have read from cover to cover more than once, and I don't regret it at all. I now have a MUCH better idea of what I want and more importantly how to get it! At least flip through ONE of these to get you going!

And finally good luck with whatever it is you decide to do. All of us here and waiting to see some SVX's put down some solid numbers! Go make us proud!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 11-26-2008 at 11:53 PM.